mattoneill.com

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Nelson Rocks

I went camping this last weekend up in the shenendoah, and on Saturday we made our way over to a place called Nelson Rocks Preserve. It's a pretty crazy rock formation, but what really attracted me was the fact that they have had a via ferrate course in place for a number of years, and I've been dying to check it out. Apparently it's the only one in america, and one of three in north america. In any case, it was first rate. I discovered that heights don't bother me one bit, but they sure do bother some of my friends.




To give a sense of scale, here's a suspension bridge that was probably 150 or so feet off the ground about 1/3 of the way up the course.




And here is that same bridge seen from the top of the headwall (highest point of the course).



So, it was somewhat of an exciting afternoon. You can check out more pictures on smugmug.

- Matt

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home